NCW AFC Est. 1948 | NCW Rovers Est. 1987 | NCW Town FC Est. 2017
“The next chapter in a long and proud footballing tradition”
Newcastle West Town FC was established in 2017. This new club initially brought together the underage structures from Newcastle West Rovers FC and Newcastle West AFC and over 600 players registered with the club in its first season. In 2018 a full amalgamation of all grades took place, bringing the youths, men and ladies teams from the original two clubs together as a single club in our town.
Newcastle West has a long established soccer tradition. The history and origins of both clubs are important to the new club and some of the background, history filmxxx, and achievements are an inspiration to the new club.
Committed local people from both original clubs will work together to further improve the facilities for the town and make soccer great in Newcastle West.
Our club ethos and principles are set out in our Codes of Conductpage.
NCW Rovers History
In 1987, Tom Baker, John Hartnett, Liam Hartnett, Joe O’Brien and Bernadette Hartnett were among the founder members of a new club, known as ‘Rovers’.
This club bought land in Woodfield on the Cork Road and developed excellent facilities for all of its players.
Rovers soon positioned themselves as central to sporting life in Newcastle West.
NCW AFC History
Newcastle West AFC (originally Newcastle United) was founded in 1948.
‘AFC’, as it was then known, enjoyed an exciting 5 years in the League of Ireland, this put Newcastle West football on the map and made them a talking point throughout the Island or Ireland.
The club played its matches in what was then known as Ballygowan Park, now referred to as the Demesne.